It has been a LONG weekend. Friday morning we woke up with no power and a flooded basement. Brian immediately got Olive dressed and headed to town, where miraculously Ceres Bakery had power and was open, while I got dressed and headed to work in Concord. Unfortunately the gas light came on as I started driving down the street. I couldn't find a gas station in town that was open, so I decided to drive up 101 where I had assumed would be powered and pumping. I tried three exits before I got off in Epping, N.H., where I stayed for a couple of hours while I tried to figure out what to do. I called work and said I wouldn't be able to make it in. Called GEICO who said they couldn't find a place that could deliver me gas (due to the outage). Called my friend Shawna to vent. Then finally called Brian to come to my rescue. He was able to find a station that was open and saved the day. Downtown somehow escaped the State-wide outage, so Brian went in to work that night. Olive and I ended up spending the night at our friend Jess's. A LONG day. When Brian woke up in his sleeping bag at home in the morning the power was back! Luckier than many - thousands still without power - just a flooded basement to clean up.
Note to self: we need to buy a generator to at least run the pellet stove and the sump pump. A lesson we should have learned after last year's ice storm.
Now it's back to the work week. Doesn't feel like much of a weekend. Another storm is on it's way, though the word is it won't be the 91 mph winds that we just had. But still, I'm over the winter and ready to move straight on to summer!
Next time we lose power, Olive will be ready...

... now, off to bed
No comments:
Post a Comment