Saturday, April 20, 2013

a LOT has been going on over here

It has been a very crazy week and a half, filled with sad, scary, surreal and exciting news.  

I am sure that you have all been keeping abreast of all the Boston news. On Monday, I was in DC looking at schools for Olive, and not in Boston. There are no words to describe what happened on Monday - other than horrible and surreal. When I flew home on Tuesday, my BU classes were cancelled so I was able to come home and hug Brian and Olive closely. 
On Wednesday we heard that Olive was accepted to Shining Star Montessori Academy, a DC public charter school! The biggest worry we had was that we were taking Olive out of an incredible school (we can't tell you how much we love The Cornerstone School - it's a magical place with incredible teachers and Olive has done so well there!) and not being able to have her transition to another great school. We feel really good about this charter school. I was able to observe in a classroom there back in February. 
Then, on Thursday we took a virtual tour of a one bedroom apartment in Cleveland Park, across from the zoo, two blocks from the Metro and just 2 miles from Olive's new school. It's small, but adorable and will suit us just fine for the year! We haven't finalized everything yet, but we are hopeful. 
On Friday, I woke up early and was getting Olive and I ready for the day when I received texts, phone calls and emails NOT to go to Boston today for work (I was supposed to be in Boston for 9:30am). Boston was locked down! After dropping Olive off at school I came home and was glued to NPR's WBUR. I called friends and classmates who live in Watertown, Cambridge and Boston. They were in their basements, huddled with their roommates or spouses or just glued to their iPhones/laptops/radios/TVs. I can't imagine. I turned off the news when Olive was home, but once she was asleep I listened more.... until they announced that the suspect was in custody. A long day!

So much has been happening. I am thankful that Boston can begin to recover from this week.  And, as things start to fall into place for us, we are able to begin to move forward with our move to DC.

 Kenmore Sq. is virtually empty on Friday during the lock-down in Boston (taken from Boston.com)

 The apartment - still not ours, but we're hopeful!


No comments: